My Story


My Story:

After the illness and death of our only daughter, my husband and I decided to rent a boat and go sailing in the gulf of Mexico for a month. This is where, on New Year's Day 2005, we were caught in a storm, shipwrecked and my husband drowned. I have been on this island, which seems to be caught in some kind of portal or other dimension, ever since, free to explore philosophical and spiritual thoughts, yet physically unable to leave.

Other characters seem to be able to come and go as they please however, as I have met a few of them since being here. They visit me every once in awhile. Aquaman and Gypsy Queen were the first to appear. Gollum showed up after, then came El Alejandro and Stick-Paul, into whose dimension I was able to go a few hours before being pulled back to my island. More recently, Mr. Tumnus has been around.

Other than rare visits from these characters, I have the constant chattering of monkeys and sqawking of parrots to fill my days.

Every once in awhile, when the wind is just right, and I am able to power up the make-shift generator I made (I am handy aren't I?), charge my satelite phone, which has internet access (even out here), I am able to post a little something on my current life as a shipwrecked woman. Don't bother trying to rescue me just yet. I doubt you'd find me anyway. This seems to be one of those Bermuda Triangle things. I'm not sure I'm even in the same dimension anymore. But hey, the satelite phone still works, how cool is that?



Sunday, December 30, 2007

Endless highways and the like

Juana is back... after a few storms and such. I have managed to power up once again and the wind is just right out here in the Bermuda triangle. (Sometimes I think my own mind is a Bermuda Triangle.)

Ahhh, Bon Jovi, one of my favourites. Yes, I could go down that endless highway, and gladly too.

Gollum has been acting up again, I try to explain why I feel the way I do about things, but his eyes cloud over and I know he is tuning me out. "My precious" he mutters and no longer hears me. Thankfully I do not have to put up with him too much, as he does not come to visit too often.

The Gypsy Queen was here around Christmas time and although we do not always agree on everything, it is always nice to have someone around who understands you, in spite of your differences.

A new person has come to visit me on my island, a certain Mr. Tumnus. A very likable fellow, in spite of his having hooves and horns. I invited him for tea, forgot that I didn't have tea leaves, but he had happened to bring some for his own tea, so that worked out alright, although I was a bit embarrassed over the whole thing.

If there is one thing that I have learned in recent months, about relationships, (funny how much one can learn on a desert island about relationships), it is that if you want to marry someone (which I don't, been there done that - but for those of you that do...) you might want to make sure that you have fun with the person first.

When I say fun, I don't mean s/he cracks a joke, you laugh. It's not enough to think that a person is funny. Joking helps, but it is far from being everything.

You want to share similar interests. A LOT of similar interests, one or two is not enough. You want to be able to talk about just about anything, and still get along. You want to be able to have inside jokes and share the same weird sense of humour. You know this is happening when you speak the same language as the people around you but noone has a clue what you are saying except yourselves. You want to be best friends. So I say, lay off the sex for awhile and find yourselves a best friend first, one, of course that you at least find attractive, but take it slow, because marriage lasts a looooooong time.

Oh, and by the way, your best friend should also share your faith if you have any, or lack of it if you are an atheist. Unless you really want to live with a certain void every day, knowing that only half of who you are is in fact in that marriage and the other half has been rejected, or is being ignored. Just ask Elizabeth Leseur.

Gypsy Queen and I were discussing this quite a bit recently, as she has had to deal with some men in her life.

El Alejandro came by the other day to see how I was doing. He is always very refreshing. Ahh to be young and uncynical again. Wait a minute! I WAS cynical when I was young. I think I may have actually mellowed out a bit! But still, it is nice to see the enthousiasm of the young. We played a bit of soccer before he left, off to conquer foreign lands again.

Aquaman swam by again, it's hard being a superhero. One doesn't always make ends meet on a superhero's salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment